VINES’ Monthly Gardening Tips
Upon request, VINES will be sending out monthly notices with suggestions about what should be on your to-do list for both garden maintenance and planning. We hope you will find these notices helpful!
February – Full Moon 2/7, New Moon 2/21
• Plant seeds for cold crops (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, etc) indoors 6-8 weeks before transplanting time (14 hours of daylight)
• Start hardy herb seeds indoors
• Order shrubs and trees, including fruit, from nursery catalogs (choose companies based in our region, such as Fedco Trees, St. Lawrence Nurseries, and Miller Nurseries)
• Plan vegetable garden arrangement, rotating crop bed annually
• Continue to feed birds
• Prune apple and pear trees at end of the month
January – Full Moon 1/9, New Moon 1/23
• Raise humidity levels around houseplants
• Gather and clean (if needed) all planting supplies from last year – trays, pots, watering cans, potting soil, soil amendments, etc. – and make note of any needed items to purchase
• Inventory any seeds you have remaining from last year
• Use garden notes, photos, and sketches from last season to assess areas that need plants, as well as which vegetables and other annuals you want to grow again
• Determine types and quantities of seeds and plants to order
• Order seeds from seed catalogs soon to ensure best availability (some catalogs we like include Fedco, High Mowing, Johnny’s, Seed Savers Exchange, and Baker Creek)
• Plant geranium, pansy, impatiens, and other hardy perennial seeds indoors for May planting outdoors
• Start onion seeds at the end of the month
• Provide suet, seed, and water for birds. A healthy bird population will help control insect pest populations.
• Don’t turn your compost. Keep it covered to prevent snow from adding too much moisture to your pile.
If you have any questions or suggestions for our monthly advice emails, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.